Recycling of styrene-based materials
The goal of this programme is to improve the quality of dissolution-recycled styrene-based materials. This is done by replacing additives at the design stage, improved sorting of waste streams, such as Waste Electronic and Electrical Equipment (WEEE) and developing and scaling up dissolution-based techniques.
Showcase RFO subsidy module 2023
The subsidy module for Circular Plastics NL from RVO in 2023 covers this program line for 1 showcases. The goal of Circular Plastics NL showcases is to remove bottlenecks in a value chain of a material flow in a particular (product) chain. In the 2023 grant module, the goal is to close this value chain through improved design of materials and products, development of sorting and waste technologies specific to this class and development of pilots for mechanical recycling. The results can be used as a blueprint to close other value chains for the same material.
Scaling up ABS/HIPS recycling
The pilot facility will develop a process for large-scale recycling of ABS/HIPS based on existing polystyrene recycling technology.
Subsequently, a demo plant will be developed for general technological development of dissolution processes, with implications for handling various polymer/old chemical additive combinations, such as EPS with BFR (HBCD) and ABS/HIPS with BFR.
Showcase: Styrene-based materials (PS, ABS, HIPS)
Styrene-based materials that contain flame retardants and/or additives that may no longer be used (legacy additives): PS and/or EPS and/or ABS from the construction and/or electronics and/or automotive industries, other styrene-based materials may also be included.
Showcase: Styrene-based materials parts
- Separation/disposal of disallowed additives from the polymer material
- Separating flame retardants from the polymer material
- Develop robust recycling process where flame retardants do not cause process upsets
- At a minimum, the developed solution should be demonstrated on a pilot scale
Showcase: styrene-based materials consortium
- Product designer
- Waste processor
In addition, the participation of a
- Producer of PP/(HD)PE
- Brand owner
- Waste collector
- and/or a Knowledge or research institute
Increase the score on the project plan quality criterion
Showcase: styrene-based materials possible research questions
- How can styrene-based plastics be designed so that the applied allowable additives can be sorted out and/or do not cause problems in the mechanical or chemical recycling process?
- How can an efficient pretreatment capable of separating flame retardants and additives that should no longer be used from the polymer material be realized?
- Which solvents (in a dissolution process) are suitable and how can they be separated from the polymer in an (energy)-efficient manner?
Showcase: styrene-based materials
- Industrial research
- Experimental development
- Demonstration Project
- Non-economic activities of research organizations
- Other non-economic project activities of research organizations aimed at knowledge integration and knowledge dissemination